As you may be aware, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) are cracking down on companies that don’t protect their data, including handing out large fines (up to £500,000) to companies who fail to comply with Data Protection policy.
This includes the likes of :
- Failing to encrypt sensitive information on USB keys, laptops, tablets and mobile phones
- Loss of paper records
- Not disposing of records correctly
Some examples of companies recently fined are:
- Welcome Financial Services Ltd were fined £150,000 for misplacing unencrypted backup tapes containing client information.
- Jala Transport Ltd were fined £5,000 for the theft of an unencrypted hard drive containing customer data, including proofs of address and identity.
- North East Lincolnshire council fined £80,000 for losing a laptop containing student information
- Sheffield-based A4e was fined £60,000 for losing an unencrypted laptop with the personal details of people.
On Thursday 12th November we are holding a free day of seminars where we will be showing you how you can use encryption software to protect your business and comply with data protection. We recommend you send at least one person from your company.
There will be two sessions :
- Morning seminar, 9.30am registration for a 10am start
- Afternoon seminar, 12.30pm registration for a 1pm start
There will be refreshments provided and it will be also be a great opportunity to network with some of our other clients.
If you are interested in attending please contact us with the names of those people you would like booked on and whether you would like to attend the morning or afternoon session.